I used to think in my early twenties that I would either make a go of the world, let go of my black and white, good vs. bad thinking, get elbow deep into the muck of the world, or move to Vermont... read more here

Everything is different – everything is the same

This was the prayer Kevin chose from our “blessing box” tonight for our prayer before dinner:

“Every thing is different
even those things that look the same
that’s how angels are.
Amen.”

(written by our oldest ~V when he was in 1st grade – I fixed the spelling)

What perfect words for today, the day that we were told that this newest little member of our family due in February does indeed have an extra chromosome and therefore Down syndrome.    I know it is scary, I know the gut reaction is sympathy, but I’ve been saying all day to family and friends, past my tears, that I just know he is this amazing gift from God, even if it is a gift I am a little scared to open.

I’m sure I’ll have more to say later, but for now…

Love Love Love

~Lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

19 Responses to Everything is different – everything is the same

1. MJ Merchant says:

Lisa, You are an amazing woman and I know the good Lord will give you all you need,you have so much love to share,this little man will be soo blessed to be part of your family.He will be an angel straight from heaven!Hugs

2. Greg says:

Our prayers are with your family. If we can help lend an ear or a hand, please don’t hesitate to call. Best, -Greg

3. Maureen says:

Love, love, love is right! Sending you big hugs, smiles and prayers …. he’s a lucky little guy who will be born into such an amazing, fun and already inspiring family…. xoxo

4. Frania Holloway says:

Lisa,Kevin and Family:

How fortunate for this new life to enter into such a loving, warm and faithful family. He will bring you as much joy as all of you will to him.

Many blessings,

Frania

5. Christianna says:

Hi Lisa,
    My mother’s older sister had Down Syndrome, and she was one of the sweetest, most caring and loving people I have ever met. Until I was 8 or so I didn’t even know she was “different.” My mother only explained Down Syndrome to me then because I was starting to surpass my aunt academically, and my mom was worried I would be confused as to why Auntie didn’t do the same things that other adults did. All babies bring their uniqueness and challenges, this one is no different in that regard. He is blessed to have you, Kevin, and 5 brothers to welcome him into the world.
    xo,
    Christianna

6. Jennifer Whelan says:

Lisa,

I recently read a book about a mom who had a child with down syndrome and didn’t know in advance. It was really good. I believe it was called Bloom. I think you might find it helpful. Sending loving thoughts your way . . .

Jen

7. Uncle Bobby says:

Lisa
    My sister your Mom is so proud of you!!

8. Nancy says:

Love you Lisa! I wrote you a private email today if you have a chance please read it. You are an amazing woman!

9. Uncle Bobby says:

Love to you Kevin and all your boys. The newborn will be so lucky to be in your family.
    Grandma is telling him that right now, I’m sure.
    God bless

10. Thais says:

… and just when you think you’ve learned so much, and that you are by now an expert, here comes what will show you how little you’ve learned, how much there is to see, and how great the Lord can be! <3

11. Karen Zess says:

Hi Lisa. We don’t really know one another, but I have seen you at MOPS and this year I am the morning coordinator. According to Facebook we have many friends in common (who speak so highly of you!) I was told by some friends that you had an awesome blog and I am so glad I found it. One of my absolute favorite blogs is this one: http://www.kellehampton.com. Please take a look. I think it will be a blessing and encouragement to you. You are in my prayers!

12. Joe Marino says:

Lisa, it is wonderful to see your heart in this. As you know, we have worked with people with disabilities for years. There is not one person that I have served that I think the world would have been better off without. Thank you for sharing your heart on this. I am proud of you!

13. Teresa Kilroy says:

Lisa,

Thank you for sharing. It may not be the journey you expected, but boy will it be amazing. You will surely meet so many people that you would not have had the opportunity to if it were not for your little guy. And those relationships will help you in your journey. Each and every accomplishment your son makes–and he will have many of them–will mean so much! I still tear up with joy when I think back to the first time Alanna said “I love you” to me, when we didn’t know if she would ever be able to say anything after we found out she was deaf. You are in my thoughts!
    Love,
    Teresa

• Lisa says:

Aw thank you Teresa. With each day I feel less and less scared and more excited to get on with it and meet him already! Love you lots, the support of you and my other cousins really means a lot.

14. Venera Gattonini says:

I was once told that god doesn’t give us anything we can’t handle. You are both two amazing people and I bet it will be wonderful.

• Lisa says:

Thank you Venera! It is definitely going to be different in many ways I’m sure, but maybe more the same than I would now think. We shall see, it will definitely be an adventure. I look forward to loving this little guy and getting to know HIM.

15. Your Favorite Niece says:

Auntie Lisa! I cannot wait to meet this new little baby! You are the type of person that can make any situation a great situation. “Auntie Lisa always made it not so bad” I wrote that in one of my essays and its true. I Love you and hope i can see you all soon!

• Lisa says:

I love you too Kate. Thank you so much for your encouragement. It means a lot. Just like any baby we can know “things” about them in utero: boy/girl, certain physical differences, etc. to a certain degree, but we don’t know THEM till they are born. I am really excited to meet him and to get to know him.

I hope that we can see each other soon. I love you very very much. Being alive is a very cool gift and seizing the day and the moment to appreciate that gift is what it’s all about. Love you!!